Canada Sports Visas

Individuals without Canadian citizenship or permanent residency will require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRP) or Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) in order to enter Canada for the purpose of participating in organised sport.

Depending on the nature of the sporting activity, you may also require a separate work permit.

It is important to ensure that you secure the right visa and, if appropriate, work permit before making plans to travel to Canada, as you can be refused entry at the Canadian border if you do not have the correct paperwork in place.

Visas and Work Permits

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) (sometimes called a Visitor Visa) authorises individuals who are not Canadian citizens and do not have any other form of permanent residency in Canada to enter the country on a time-limited basis.

To be eligible for a TRV, you will need to prove that:

  • you intend to leave Canada before your TRV expires
  • you have sufficient funds to support yourself and any family members while in Canada
  • you are not a risk to Canada’s security or public order

TRVs are usually issued for six months for tourists, but can be granted for longer periods of time for temporary foreign workers.

Individuals from certain countries may be able to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) instead of a TRV. An eTA can be issued for up to five years, though usually with the caveat that no single visit lasts longer than six months.

Do I need a Visa and Work Permit to play sport in Canada?

Unless you hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residency, you will need either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) to enter Canada. Whether you require a visa or eTA will depend on your nationality and other personal factors, including whether you have had a visa application denied previously.

If you intend to work as an athlete or in some other capacity for a Canadian sports team or other sporting organisation, you will need a work permit.

If you intend to work as an athlete or in some other capacity for a foreign sports organisation while in Canada—for example, in a competition or as part of an organised tour—you will usually not require a work permit.

If you intend to visit Canada as an amateur sportsperson—for example, to train or to participate in an amateur competition—you will usually not require a work permit.